Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Christmas Eve 2008


It was a wonderful night with an Italian dinner menu and a few good cooks in the kitchen! Lucky for me I wasn't one of them. We had a house full (Teddy, my immediate family, Bette and Charlie, JoAnn, ToniAnn, Jesse and Monty) and it was a comfortable family night that went just as planned...isn't that nice! Christmas morning, however, my whole tree fell completely on top of Maggie. This beautiful ornament, given to me by Sheri (I know you didn't make it or bake it but I love it) was the culprit. Emma even said,"if you put that on the tree, it will fall over!" Sure enough, the minute I hung it, the tree went over. I had to redecorate the whole thing because we were having a dinner party on New Year's Eve.


I usually choose a fraser fir tree but this year went out on a limb.... and went with the douglas fir (above). The needles are longer and softer than the fraser, but I usually get a fraser to hold my heavier ornaments like the adorable snow babies Michelle made a few years ago for the girls. It was a beautiful shape except for the stem at the base of the tree. It actually turned at a 90 degree angle right at the bottom, making for some tricky maneuvering in the tree stand. That's probably the reason it fell. It actually came out better after the second phase of decorating! This was the tree Christmas morning (right)....see the coordinating wrapping paper :) girls?

It was a fun Christmas across the miles with Sheri and Michelle as we put into play our new "make it or bake it" theme. Sheri made some of her famous specialties that I love and Michelle sent some home canned yummy treats like rasberry jam and some spirits. But there will always be a hole in our hearts without our mom there to share it with us and our children. We miss you so much Mommy. xo

View my pictures from Christmas and New Year's Eve at:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9184&l=55e73&id=1536098453

1 comment:

ORSprueills said...

The tree looks beautiful. Sounds like a wonderful holiday with family and Italian food...yummy!